Miranda York, MA
Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist #100415
Recent neuroscience confirms that we are all hard wired to heal, given the right conditions. I work collaboratively and interactively to harness your innate healing capacity to assist you in going beyond symptom management to profound transformation. My practice is somatic and relational, and I specialize in working with couples as well as people who’ve experienced emotional, sexual, and physical trauma.
In working with COUPLES AND RELATIONSHIPS:
The following are some common issues I have worked with:
• transforming hot and cold conflict into peace and connection
• reigniting a mutually satisfying sex life between partners and resolving issues around sex and sexuality
• negotiating differences around sex drive
• transforming blame and avoidance into mutual understanding and empathy
• healing wounds of past sexual abuse that emerge around sex and sexuality in relationship
• healing from broken agreements/affairs and creating a new relationship together
• finding connection again when connection has been lost
• negotiating issues with open relationships and non traditional lifestyles
I primarily have trained in and utilize the Attachment based, Somatically oriented, and Neuroscience informed model of AEDP for Couples in my work with couples and relationships. In order to feel motivated and safe to explore challenging past and present patterns, we need enough of the neurotransmitter, dopamine, to be present in the brain. Dopamine can be induced through the felt experience of love with another. We also need a good supply of the neurotransmitter, acetylcholine, in order to consolidate changes in the brain from our old templates to new, more flexible ways of relating that are filled with more joy and less conflict and disconnection.
In order to maximize the neuroplastic potential of your brain, we might do some of the following together:
• Use mindful awareness of your somatic (bodily) experience of giving and receiving love
• Find the places of joy and play between you and your partner and get playful together in the therapy room
• Feel into old relational patterns in your body and memories from the past and transform them through new experiences with your partner in the therapy room
• Notice ways you may be unconsciously blocking the capacity to give, receive, and perceive love and shift these blocks
• Find ways to notice states when you are "triggered" or in a trauma state with your partner and bring new resources online to better hear one another, de-escalate, and relate more effectively.
I see our work together as a collaborative process, and I always welcome your feedback and guidance about what works for you! I am comfortable and knowledgeable in working with all types of relationships, including: polyamory, bdsm, kink, open relationships, monogamy, queer and straight relationships.
In my work with INDIVIDUALS, I treat a wide diversity of issues, and have special training and experience in treating the following:
• Complex Trauma-multiple or ongoing traumas in life, such as: abuse, neglect, family separation, witnessing of abuse or violence in one’s family or community, poverty, oppression, and/or a parent who was incarcerated, mentally ill, or addicted to alcohol or drugs
• Pre-Verbal Trauma, or Trauma/ PTSD Symptoms with No Memory-such as: episodes of rage, unexplainable fears/terror, nightmares, feeling “numb,” being on “autopilot,” dissociation, feelings of immobilization, fears of abandonment, excessive guilt and shame, worthlessness, self-hatred, constant sense that something bad is about to happen, self destructive impulses and behavior, difficulties with boundaries, need to control, push/pull dynamic in relationships, insatiable need for contact or reassurance, inability in letting others get close, addictive and compulsive behaviors
• Sensitive Introverts (who may have been or currently are a high achiever, but struggle with relationships and relating)
• Sexual Abuse and Sexual Assault
• Queer, Femme, and Trans* People
• Teenagers and Young Adults Dealing with Life Transitions
I have trained extensively in the transformance based, neuroscience informed model of AEDP for individuals as well as couples. I am also trained as a Sensorimotor Practitioner, which is another somatic model for treating trauma. I am warm, accepting, collaborative, and interactive. I intend to help you beyond symptom management to symptom alleviation and even deep transformation and healing. Many of my clients notice surprising shifts in various areas of their lives that they didn’t expect when entering therapy. I work with an accelerated healing model that generally moves more quickly towards change than more traditional forms of psychotherapy.
431 30th Street
Oakland, California 94609
- Individual Therapy
- Couples Therapy
- Family Therapy
- Child & Adolescent Therapy
My fee is $150 for a 75 minute couples session, or $110 for a 50 minute individual session. I have a sliding scale reserved for those who are unable to pay the full fee. I do not accept insurance, but I can give you a receipt to submit to your insurance for reimbursement.
Please call me at 415-799-3730 with any questions you may have, or to set up an initial appointment.