Shelley M. Samuels, MS
Registered Associate Professional Clinical Counselor #1635
I am an eclectic, empathetic, creative, therapist interested in empowering individuals to move through barriers to achieving a sustainable, content life. Influenced by feminist therapy, I strive to work collaboratively with my clients, while viewing gender role socialization as crucial to my world view. Since I deeply value a connection to the earth and appreciate the healing power of nature, I incorporate elements of Eco-therapy into my practice. I believe that respect for the earth includes honoring all species, which I express as a vegan and animal rights advocate. I particularly enjoy working with creative types; often incorporating expressive arts, film and literature into my psychotherapy practice. I believe strongly in self-reflection and discussing values, including ethics and spirituality, while respecting cultural differences.
I am especially interested in and enjoy focusing my work on:
LGBTQQ Community Member who works with:
- The intersection of sexual orientation and/or gender identity and coming out;
- Exploring gender identity development;
- Working with clients exploring expressions of alternative sexuality; including negotiating polyamorous relationships
- Strengthening individuals nurturing healthy, long-term committed relationships;
- LGBTQQ aging.
- I work to help survivors healing from socio-political trauma empower themselves;
- I support individuals working through grief and loss;
- I work with individuals living with chronic pain;
- I enjoy supporting individuals through life transitions, promoting positive aging; I appreciate spiritual seekers;
- I am a veteran career counselor, with over seven years of experience providing career counseling and coaching; I have worked with college students, baby boomers, professionals and others to clarify their life goals and move forward.
Surviving Violent Relationships, including Domestic Violence, Sexual Assault and related Trauma:
- I am a California State Certified Domestic Violence Advocate. I worked with survivors in crisis as a therapist for two years at W.O.M.A.N., Inc. (Women Organized to Make Abuse Non-existent),
- I help people trying to break the cycle of violence by helping them explore the feelings of fear, depression, anxiety and isolation they encounter while trying to rebuild their lives;
- I focus on how gender impacts/interrelates with domestic violence, sexual assault, human trafficking, and body image.
- I am a former Human Resources Manager trained in clarifying sexual harassment and other workplace culture issues.
I received an MS in counseling from San Francisco State University, in clinical and career counseling. I am registered with the Board of Behavioral Sciences of the State of California as a Professional Clinical Counselor Registered Intern (#1635).
I am a member of the American Counseling Association, affiliated with ALGBTIC (the Association for Lesbian Gay Bisexual Issues in Counseling), ACC (the Association for Creativity in Counseling), Bay Area Open Minds, NCDA (the National Career Development Association). I am also a member of Gaylesta, the Psychotherapist Association for Gender & Sexual Diversity; TPI (the Psychotherapy Institute), the Northern California Group Psychotherapy Society, and AGPA (the American Group Psychotherapy Association).
I look forward to meeting you and learning if I might be able to help you on your journey through life.
2576 Shattuck Avenue
Berkeley, California 94704
1265 65th Street
Emeryville, California 94608
- Individual Therapy
My fee is $125 for a 50-minute session. I endeavor to consider my clients’ individual economic situation in setting fees and may offer lower fees.
Rawna Romero, LMFT #41466